[Dialogue] Easter Sunrise Service Liturgy

Ellie Stock elliestock at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 13:09:25 PDT 2020

Dear Family,
As we move, in the Christian tradition, from Lent into Holy Week, which the whole world is now experiencing in the midst of the detachment, suffering and death caused by the coronavirus pandemic crisis, we have the benefit of also looking toward what we now experience as Easter, the possibility of new life and transformation which the early followers of Jesus could not have anticipated, following the crucifixion.
These last weeks, like many of you, we have been worshipping at home via live-streaming services.  For many years, I have coordinated the outdoor Easter Sunrise Service on the west bank of the January-Wabash Lake, sponsored by the Ferguson Ministries Alliance.  This year the service will not be held.  Wherever we have lived, the Easter Sunrise Service (when it has been held outdoors, as this one is) has always been my favorite, but this year, with everything else changing, so has the way we will do this service.  The service has always been informal--no robes, microphones, hymnbooks--just gathered together (standing or sitting in portable chairs) in a sort of semi circle, facing the lake, the fountain, the sunrise, and enjoying the sights and sounds of spring's creation, including the flyover or swimming geese with their bellowing honks.  The service was held there rain or shine or snow, cold or warm with umbrellas or hats and gloves or no coats at all.  Always a joy-filled occasion.  Coffee and donuts followed.  Then folks went home or off to their various congregations, breakfasts and Easter egg hunts.
Attached is a copy of the liturgy for this year.  Feel free to use it at home and share with others--best to be outside.
As the words on the final blessing say:
 May the ChristWord, Event, Spirit, and Love--which cannot be bound by cross or tomb,social-distanced, self-isolated,sheltered-in-place,sequestered or quarantined--dwell within you andunite your heart withall humanity and all creation in renewed consciousness, care, courage,creativity, and compassion.
Be well, stay safe, stay calm, and stay connected as we take all necessary precautions and remain physically-distanced and sheltered-in-place but Together in Spirit.
Grace and peace,Easter blessings and love ~Ellie Stock :)elliestock at aol.com