[Dialogue] “And now we know why”

Jack Gilles jackcgilles at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 13:52:39 PDT 2019

Jim,

Most of the “why’s” are not spelled out in  particular documents, but cumulatively it becomes clear. Joe did a talk on our journey of selecting HDP projects, starting with a whole nation, then a whole island etc. When we tried the replication in Maharashtra we took the whole State, minus Mumbai. But from our grid that was essentially doing a whole Area. Replication means enabling the Localis (Polis-Micro-Parish) to work as a dynamic. I think that would man doing one District-Taluka-Cluster. Our other failure is that we didn’t understand that a cluster should be based on the ecology of a watershed - all the villages enabling their dependence on caring for the water along with forestation, energy and much more. Having spent a year of my life working on the Economic Acceleration Team I now know why we failed (in most cases).

We failed at the Religious House expansion for several reasons. Permeation dependency, language, youth, and never shifting to the Third Campaign where they would become Wayside Inns. We had our Movement, but didn’t really understand how to make the shift. I am sure there is more.

The renewal of the Christian Church experiment centered on the creation of Galaxies. We did that, but so many of the pastors ended up joining the Order and others felt abandoned when we made our Turn to the World. I remember when it really got tough recruiting RS-I after so many years of so many. Something shifted and we spoke of doing an end-run by shifting to the Parish (the World). Our work with Spirit people of other Faiths was a bit rocky. I actually think the task is still before us and I certainly feel we know so much more now as to what that really means.

There are a lot of great things in the Living Archives our our deep learnings. I spoke with Susan Craver on the history of Training Futures. It was once seen as one of the top five programs in the country. Now it is not and is really struggling. The new administrators never understood the power of Spirit and the role it played. They tried to do it with the “brick and mortar” of the design, and never learned how it takes Spirit leadership to transform the lives. I guess it would sort of be like trying to do RS-I without grasping the integration of every single part. Now we know why.

So in short, we never really “failed”, we just had a hell of a bunch of great learnings!

With Respect, (and my humble opinion!)

Jack