[Dialogue] Naomi Klein book and Leap movement

Ellie Stock elliestock at aol.com
Tue May 29 09:34:23 PDT 2018

Hi Folks,

Maybe someone has written about this before and I missed it, but just wanted to check...

I just finished reading Naomi Klein's 2017 book No Is No Enough, Resisting Trump's Shock Politics and Winning the World We Need, the focus of which is that resistance to the critical issues we face today, while necessary, is not enough and needs to be addressed by a powerful positive holistic vision created and supported by a movement comprised of a broad coalition of diverse grassroots groups.  Proposed action cannot be slow incremental change but must take a Leap and move rapidly and comprehensively as happened in prep for WWII and other times of radical transformative change.

Much of her work has been done in Canada with groups that have come together to create "The Leap Manifesto, A Call for a Canada Based on Caring for the Earth and One Another."  If you replace "Canada" with "The U.S." in the document, the issues are basically the same..  A sentence toward the end of the document reads:  We call for town hall meetings across the country where residents can gather to democratically define what a genuine leap to the next economy means in  their communities."

Hmmm, that sounds familiar...

So, just wondering if colleagues in Canada (or the US) are connected with this.  Any comments on the book?

Ellie
elliestock at aol.com