[Dialogue] The Impact of ICA in Kenya

Richard dick_alton at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 06:39:17 PDT 2018

Dear ICA Colleagues, how about a self funded trek to Kenya- see below and attached documents,mets

Hi Seva, Dick,

Hoping you are both well and with best wishes for 2018.

As you may know, over the past few months Henry Ikatukhu, Nathan Andika and others have been exploring and then setting up a new organisation in Kenya, now called CAPI (COMMUNITY ACTION & PRACTICE INITIATIVE). Their intention is that this organisation will build on and extend the impact and legacy of ICA in Kenya, and will seek to fill the gap at the nationbal level left by the decline of ICA Kenya.

One of the things we have been discussing with them is the idea of carrying out some research in Kenya to look at past ICA projects to assess their long term impact. This would not only be a valuable document for ICA globally but could also be used by CAPI to justify and explain their approach to potential partners and funders. It would also complement the review of the Kawangware project currently being done by the Archive Project and a similar review that we funded in Uganda last year.

I attach two documents- one a brief description of the idea, and one the most recent version of the budget. ICA:UK (through Village Volunteers) can help with some of this cost, but certainly not all- do you think ICA:USA might be able to contribute as well? One of the things you will notice in the budget is the bulk of the cost is for the cost of a consultant and the expenses of the supporting staff. As an alternative, and knowing how successful you have been in doing this in the HIV/AIDS programme, I wonder if there are any members of the ICA USA network who would have the necessary skills and who would be interested enough/able to self-finance a trip to Kenya?

I hope this makes sense- please get back to me if you have any questions.

With best wishes

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Dudding