[Dialogue] After the Great Eclipse

Ellie Stock via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Tue Aug 22 14:20:58 PDT 2017

Thanks, Marshall, for your reflections.  We experienced the "Totality" in St Clare, MO, about an hour south of St. Louis at the Meramec Golf Course.  Driving through St. Clare was like driving through a town festival--bar b q smoking from every corner and almost every lot barking their $20 parking space fee for out of town pilgrims.  In 95 degree heat, shaded under a tent, we waited with anticipation and watched with our eclipse glasses as the shadow of moon began to invade the top right sector of the sun against a clear blue sky as it gradually darkened and the temperature dropped between 15-20 degrees.  Then finally it happened--the TOTALITY!  At first cheers by the 200+ people viewing from the grass-covered landscape.  Then a silence of awe as we yanked off our glasses and witnessed the bright aura around the black sun, the sky turning darker, revealing Venus and Jupiter and few brighter stars, and triggering the night songs of the crickets and cicada.  For a change, people stopped to contemplate and relate to the larger Universe, our home.  Another cheer as the Totality ebbed, bringing back the light and heat but also a lingering sense of awe and peace.  In the next hour and a half some folks continued to watch the completion of the eclipse while others headed back home to St. Louis, Iowa, Minnesota and other places with a sense of joy and satisfaction and that we are part of something much larger than that in which engages them daily.

In addition to trying to live in the Totality Zone, I hope many young people will be excited to explore the many realms of science, that others will no longer be science deniers, especially related to climate change, and that we all will leave with a greater consciousness of our humanity's being the Universe reflecting upon itself and called to know, do and be the Great Work of being in relationship with it in ways that are in sync with its continuing, complexifying, interdependent emergence as differentiation, diversity and communion.

Ellie
elliestock at aol.com