[Dialogue] more news for Susan

Joy Bonafield via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Nov 6 19:06:46 PST 2016

Colleagues -- friends ---WHOA!

    How about we use our collective creativity and mix it with some of our
methods, and begin to turn this dialogue into something SO MUCH better ---
bringing our dialogue onto higher ground?

     Marshall's points are well taken -- we know how to plant a foot in the
establishment and disestablishment, looking from the inside out on each
side, and bring into being a new stance.  We can start by demonstrating
this to ourselves now!   No need for anyone to quit the dialogue, but we
can begin to restore basic respect with one with whom we may disagree.

     Tonight, I've seen on 60 minutes a group who represented all
perspectives, once again shout over each other, accuse each other, without
listening. A facilitator tried to get them to reflect.  They could not, but
we can -- this is our strong suit!  We can restore deep listening.

      WHAT IF -- we called for an election process that uses only "I
statements"  (I believe, I propose, I respectfully disagree") but does not
allow for character assassination and other psy-war approaches?  We
conducted such a process during the UN Peace Tent in Nairobi at the UN
Decade for Women Conference, 1985.  Women from "enemy" countries sat in the
Peace Tent for an hour at a time -- US and USSR women; IRAQI and IRANIAN
women, ISrAELI and PALESTINIAN women, etc. listened, spoke, stated what
they heard, course-corrected, slowed down, used a talking stick as needed.
These groups of women actually got somewhere with this.  No name calling,
no "you" statements, only "speaking for oneself" statements. They got to "I
would like to see" and "I wish we could" and "I want us to try..."

      What is your WHAT IF?  Please send them in!  We might come up with a
list for a better election process in the future!  Knowing us, we could
generate quite a brainstorm list of creative ideas.

Aurinkoista paivaa!

Joyce Bonafield-Pierce

bonafieldcohort26 at gmail.com
[just back from a refreshing time in Finland, where collaboration is the
name of the game]