[Dialogue] Up to Being Offended?

Gordon Harper via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Mon Apr 6 16:52:43 PDT 2015

This won't be to everyone's taste--perhaps not even of the slightest
interest to some--but it strikes me as important for several reasons.

Here in the U.S., the law known as the Patriot Act comes up for renewal
soon, and it has implications not only for Americans but for people all
around the world.  Edward Snowden, featured in this clip, has taken his
place at my own meditative council table, and here he has the chance to say
some things in a way he never has before.

Whatever you may think of John Oliver, British host of our humorous (yet
dead serious) review of the week's news, he makes brilliant use of imaginal
education to get through to an audience that most of us don't have a clue
how to address.  (Perhaps in this case, we should rename it graphical
education.)

You're likely to find this thirty minute segment sadly humorous as it
slowly develops and builds.   If you stick with it to its conclusion, you
will have to deal with what many will find outrageously offensive in terms
of polite discourse.  Then again, it may be that you'll also experience the
offense somewhat in the way we've used that word in our community.

Enough said.

WATCH: John Oliver Employs Brilliant Tactic to Get Edward Snowden to
Explain Why NSA Surveillance Matters
<http://act.alternet.org/go/59765?t=3&akid=12980.110032.gK8RMk>

Gordon