We have a new Mailman list server!

Timothy Wegner tim at tswegner.net
Wed May 21 18:03:24 PDT 2014

This is my third message to the list about recent problems. That's some
kind of record, since I try very hard to spare the lists of management
details. Events have moved fast, and I *think* the solution is in place.
Now for the acid test - will the fixes work???

Thanks to everyone who sent me reports by separate email. I couldn't take
the time to respond to you all, but the reports were helpful. Do not
hesitate to email me if you don't things are working right.

The problem we are trying to solve is that quite a few of you could not get
mail from the list, and eventually Mailman tried to disable your account
for too many bounced messages. The reason for this is that Yahoo, Comcast,
and a few other email providers toughened their security (a good thing) in
a way that broke mailing lists (a bad thing).

I did the following:

1. Asked for and received a newer version of Mailman from our service
provider Dreamhost which contains a mechanism to solve our problem, and set
it up to (hopefully) fix the problem.

2. I turned off the "anonymous" list setting that was the temporary fix. So
now you should be able to see who sends listserv post. You *should* see
that this message is from me. (For what it's worth, a number of who had
your accounts disabled in the past reported that mail came through, so this
tactic may have worked, but should thankfully no longer be necessary.)

3. Changed the "reply" setting back like it was (and has been for a while)
so that replies go to the person not the whole list. So if you DO want your
reply to go to the whole list you have to be mindful that the message has
the list address in it.

So my fingers are crossed! If you don't seem to be getting list mails let
me know.

Tim Wegner