[Dialogue] Wayne Nelson

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 15:28:24 PST 2014

For Wayne, a few sentences from an old friend.  Sentences that have been going round and round in my consciousness since I heard of his death.

We come from a dark
abyss, we end in a dark abyss, and we call the luminous interval life.  As soon as we are born the return begins, at
once the setting forth and the coming back; we die in every moment.  Because of this many have cried out:  The goal of life is death!  But as soon as we are born we begin the
struggle to create, to compose, to turn matter into life; we are born in every
moment.  Because of this many have cried
out:  The goal of ephemeral life is
immortality!  In the temporary living
organism these two streams collide:  (a)
the ascent toward composition, toward life, toward immortality; (b) the descent
toward decomposition, toward matter, toward death.
. . .
And, later

Which of the two
eternal roads shall I choose? . . . Of the two, I choose the ascending
path.  Why?  . . . I choose the ascending path because my
heart drives me toward it.

Seems, every time I encountered Wayne, in person, over the
phone, via email, I met a man who chose the ascending path.  Blessings