[Dialogue] Salmon: [Oe List ...] Fwd: Question about Imaginal Education these days

William Salmon via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Dec 7 18:53:04 PST 2014

Colleagues--
    I'm with Randy at this point. In utilizing the tools of Imaginal Education, there is a shift from teacher to student; transformational learning is the contextual shift.         Last December I wrote a paper for the Central Kansas Cooperative In Education.This is the organization that hires Para-Educators for 17 school districts in Kansas. The paper was titled, "Wounded Birds" as a metaphor addressing the needs of Special Education students. This year is a follow up paper on identifying the behavior of students for what their behavior tell us about their needs.
    In Salina (Kansas), we have a special school for mentally challenged grade school youth titled "Opportunity Now." The director is Jeff Hays. In brooding about the context of this paper, I asked Jeff about the direction it needs to take. He replied, "Tell them, 'How to make horses thirsty.'"
    On clarification, he observed the axiom, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." What do you do to make it drink what you have to offer.
    On conversation when on to identify the difference between "compliant" students and "engaged students." My high school classes in woods, metals, art and drafting are engaged in their assignments because in their experience they see the relevance of what they are doing.
    Compliant students are nice to have in class, but they see only what is necessary--their lives are not changed. Engaged students catch the vision of how this course can be useful to them; i.e., the course changes them.
    The focus of my paper is to inspire in the teachers of Math and the Social and Physical Sciences to deliver their curriculum so that their students are inspired to "drink what they have to offer."
     An illustration--Last year, Scottie transferred in mid-first semester and assigned to a metals class with me as his para-educator. He was extremely self-depreciating and unable to look anyone in the eye. In desperation, the teacher asked me to do anything with him.
    I picked up large piece of scrap metal and put it on the table used by the oxy-fuel cutting torch that slices through metal plates like it was butter. I assigned Scottie to simply play with the cutter making circles or whatever. Scottie used this equipment for 45 minutes.
    I went to the store and bought large stencils. For the next class, I copied the letters A to Z and numbers 1 - 0. Scottie was assigned to cut them out. Each numeral was cut better than the previous. Next, I went home and copied comic strips characters and transferred them with caulk to the metal for Scottie to work on and paint.
    A teacher noted, "Today, I saw Scottie smile for the first time."
    At the end of school, I enlarged his school picture and transferred it to a steel plate. Scottie worked on in for a couple of weeks, while I built a metal stand for it. After it was done, Scottie noted, "How am I going to get these things home?" After school was out, Beverly and I volunteered. His mother could not say enough about how Scottie had changed.
    As Imaginal Educators, we spent a lot of the time in the 1960s and 1970s learning to use this tool. Perhaps, the emphasis always was on the recipient; it certainly was in 5th City. However, I honed my skills as a First Teacher on many RS-Is, a couple of PLCs, and courses in the Brussel's Academy.
    I can witness that IM changed me as an educator. Now, I know that IM changes the recipient as well.
    There are many stories to share. Sometime, I'd like to tell the story of the Juju Do high school students who spent a long winter vacation with me in a cold grade building learning to improve their American English. How exciting.
    Inner Peace,
    Bill Salmon
PS: This year, when I first saw Scottie in the hallway, I asked him if he was enjoying his Art class? He replied, "I'd rather be in metals!"
    wes