[Dialogue] Do you have a REALLY old email program?

steve har stevehar11201 at gmail.com
Tue May 14 06:12:11 PDT 2013

About once a week I get a bogus email from someone on wedgeblade
This morning I got a typical "send money quick" scam email (see below)

What causes this?
Old and obsolete email programs "leftover from the 1990s" don't have
modern security and spam protection
Spammers crack your account, take your email list and send out bogus emails.

Examples of obsolete programs: AoL Hotmail, IGC, "private label
programs living on your private hard drive or your
Internet Service Provider's "special deal account".

What to do? Old programs were designed for individual computers, slow
connections, infrequent & mostly 1 way emails.

Get some new programs that are designed for rapid effective online
collaboration:
-a new web browser like Chrome that has services like chat that help
you collaborate real time
-a new mail program like Gmail that has really good spam protection
and are very hard to crack.

Help get spammers out of email - yours, mine, ours

--
Steve
A typical send money quick scam:

I really hope you get this fast. I could not inform anyone about our
trip, because it was impromptu. we had to be in Manila, Philippines
for a programmed. The program was successful, but our journey has
turned sour. we misplaced our wallet and cell phone on our way back to
the hotel we lodge in after we went for sight seeing. The wallet
contained all the valuables we had. Now, our passport is in custody of
the hotel management pending when we make payment.

I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you, but i have only very few
people to run to now. i will be indeed very grateful if i can get a
loan of $2,250 from you. this will enable me sort our hotel bills and
get my sorry self back home. I will really appreciate whatever you can
afford in assisting me with. I promise to refund it in full as soon as
I return. let me know if you can be of any assistance. Please, let me
know soonest. Thanks so much..

Best Regards,