[Dialogue] [Oe List ...] Response to Del

George Holcombe geowanda at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 9 08:52:22 PST 2013

Yes, everything seems to be in contention.  From gun control to how do we address the rapidly growing inequity between rich and poor, but the matter that will put all of this as secondary is global climate change.  What is happening in Australia, the island nations, rise of seas, the Arctic melt and increasing acidity of the oceans, the violent weather, Sandy in the U.S., Cyclone season in other parts of the world and last years Tornado season, expanding desertification and loss of potable water is going to change everything very quickly.

Last night at our community meeting the question of water rates came up and the resident who serves on several state and federal water regulation and study groups, jumped to his feet and announced that what we are paying for water is a 4th of what it's worth and the cost will rise rapidly in the coming year,  He also pleaded for everyone to stop watering their lawns, saying that's our drinking water. I'd never seen such passion coming from this cool, reasonable mediator type before.   It is more than likely that the water sold to rice farmers in South Texas will be cut off because the lakes and aquifers around Austin are at historic lows and even if there were sustained heavy rains it would not fill the lakes or recharge the aquifers.

In as much as the wealthy and corporate interests have large stakes in keeping the exploitation of natural resources and pollution levels as they are, or even increasing them, what is unfolding is breaking all of the models of sustainability and, in proportion,  governance and life style.  It is likely that, in my thinking, that locality will become more contentious and some of the questions that will be driving things will be how can I protect what I have.  Facilitators might want to consider how to implement ways to aid the wealthy and the corporate world in how to step back from exploiting consumerism and become expert in conservation and slimming down as a way to profitability.  Just as a way was found to eliminate CFCs for the most part and other chemicals creating the Ozone hole, I imagine something similar may begin to occupy the powers that have ignored climate change so far, which will have an enormous effect on how business and governance is done, and will effect everyone's life style and economics, particularly if these measures do not work.  Some of the climatologist feel we passed the tipping point.  If this be true, what are the models for living on the other side of that?  Maybe some of our young folk are already working on that.

George Holcombe
14900 Yellowleaf Tr.
Austin, TX 78728
Mobile 512/252-2756
geowanda at earthlink.net

Hope appeareth, but it is not your Hope—you do not have anything to do with it. It just appeareth. It comes as a stranger, as an alien—it just appeareth! You do not even know why you hope. How in the world could you hope when there is absolutely nothing to justify any hope?    ~Joseph W. Mathews