[Dialogue] Dear Helen

Joyce Sloan jsloan45 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 17:04:38 PST 2013

Well Helen, from the "cemetery House," as John puts it, to the top of a
warehouse, then an old abandoned school in Ivy City; you certainly made
your mark on Washington, DC. You and Bill quickly became the continuity and
an invaluable resource when the House was moved to Ivy City and we launched
the Ivy City HDP.  Your fearless presence and tenacious work ethic was
visible in the house and throughout the community. Most notably, I remember
how you worked in kinding food, goods and services and involved community
people in shadowing you. You enabled them to feel a new kind of power and
ownership as they took responsibility for their preschool and youth
programs and community wide events. As Fred Wilson, one of the saints of
Ivy City use to say, "That's one feisty little woman."

I salute you and pray God's Blessing and His Peace for you and your family.

Joyce