[Dialogue] question about the 4 C's

Sunny Walker sunwalker at comcast.net
Wed Aug 28 20:10:12 PDT 2013

That makes sense. Here’s what Cheryl sent me (two of the C’s overlap and for
me, her four taken together are how one acts out Care – and Corporate-ness
might emerge from her parenthetical remark under Creativity). It is the
recent cover article for the Human Systems Dynamics Institute’s e-zine. The
title is “Difference.”

This weekend marks the 50th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s
epoch-framing speech, “I Have a Dream.” Across the country, people will
gather to remember and to dream the dream again.  Many things have changed
since the fall of 1963, but we are still far from the mountaintop King spoke
of that day.  When and how will we rise above our prejudices and engage as a
human family?  Maybe never. Certainly if art, law, religion, demonstrations,
violence, or civil discourse could pave the way to a world blind to
differences, we would have arrived long ago.  Maybe that is not the
destination we should seek. Maybe we are striving in the wrong direction.
Maybe we misunderstood King’s dream. Maybe we should forget erasing
difference and turn our attention toward using difference to create
opportunity for ourselves and our children.

A couple of weeks ago, I was back in Caux, Switzerland.  Every summer,
Initiatives of Change sponsors conferences on various topics related to
global issues of peace, health, and justice. This time, I had the privilege
of joining 125 thoughtful and committed (mostly young) people from around
the world as we all engaged in Learning to Live in a Multicultural World. I
realized early in the week that most of the participants already had learned
their lessons and were trying to teach the rest of us.  Their radically
global, multi-lingual, political refugee, cross-cultural romance,
migration-dependent, internet connected environment had already taught these
young adults to live in their own world, which just happens to be
multicultural.

The lesson I learned from conversations with individuals and groups all week
helped me realize that difference is the key to living in this twenty-first
century world. For those who live in this work, the difference that makes a
difference is the unique character that distinguishes each precious human
being from every other one on the planet.  One African émigré, living in
Barcelona, married to a Mexican woman, working for an international NGO said
it best.  I can’t quote his Spanish, but in essence he said, “It isn’t about
culture.  ‘Culture’ is made up by somebody who knows nothing about my life.
It is about me and you. It is about what we hold in common.  It is about the
unique gifts we bring and the ways we engage across our differences to
create the best for all of us.”

So, I’ve been thinking about how I can cultivate this capacity to engage
with difference and live in a multicultural world.  I have some thoughts,
and while I’m working on putting them into practice, I’d like to share them
with you.

Curiosity. I realize that my certainty is what holds me back.  I will
continue to occupy my cultural prison until I can ask the authentic
question, give voice to the experience of each person, listen to the answer
in the moment, and allow that answer to inform the next question—and the
next.

Courage. It is a risk to abandon my traditional expectations and social
norms to engage with another.  Maybe I will stumble. Maybe they will
misunderstand. Maybe I’ll reveal my ignorance, but I still have to take the
chance.  I have to face the risk because otherwise, I will never see their
difference for what it is—opportunity for learning and relationship in peace
and justice.

Creativity. I like my habits of mind and practice.  They are comfortable.  I
don’t have to think very much or reach very far or pay much attention.  On
the other hand, until I engage with a fresh reality, I’ll be forced to live
in the old one. If I want a different pattern of social and political
interaction in my world, then I (and those who join me) will have to create
it.

Consistency. This is not going to be easy.  No centuries-old patterns will
be changed in one interaction, no matter how powerful it is. Even when I’m
not very good at it, and people I meet don’t know how to respond, I have to
continue to practice.  That is the only way I can build the skills and
accumulate the knowledge that will allow me to see each person as a unique
pattern of gifts and possibilities, to understand them in relation to me and
their contexts, and to make decisions and take action that may bring King’s
mountaintop closer to us.

I think I know the risk of taking such a stand. I‘m a middle-aged white
woman, born in Texas and living in Minnesota.  I speak only English, and I
love 70s music.  I read books (on paper) more than I Tweet. Most of my
friends are more like me than not.  Those unique (though boring) differences
shape me and my view of myself and the world.  I hope this simple discipline
of curiosity, courage, creativity, and consistency will prepare me to engage
with the uniqueness of others, but I may be mistaken.  I hope this
engagement will help freedom ring.  Maybe I am deluded.  Please, let me know
what you think.  I will endeavor to hear you with curiosity, courage,
creativity, and consistency. I invite you to do the same.

Glenda Eoyang, Ph.D
Executive Director
HSD Institute
<http://www.responsetrack.net/lnk/hsdinstitute/1v5sz/?19XX100EIEG>

Certainly makes ME think
and appreciate how close she comes to my own life
understandings and struggles.

Sunny