[Dialogue] Janice's gifts

Terry Bergdall bergdall2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 15:08:55 PDT 2013

Ellen Howie has been in contact with people close to Janice Ulangca in
Binghamton, NY, and learned that she died in peace at home in her bed. She
and Dick plan to attend the funeral next Wednesday on behalf of our
community.

You might recall yesterday on this listserv that Marge Philbrook announced
her decision about allotting an $8,500 donation from an anonymous donor to
celebrate her eighty-fifth birthday. It is appropriate now to reveal that
this gift was from Janice.

When I saw Marge’s email early this morning, I wrote to Janice. Now, of
course, I know that she never read it. However, my message conveys
something about her special qualities as a human being that seem a fitting
way to celebrate her completed life. Here is what I wrote:

“Janice, you gave a truly creative gift to Marge. She's brooded long and
hard (enjoying every minute of it) about the best way to divvy-up 85
hundred dollars. She also has remained extremely curious about the identity
of the donor. She thinks she’s being coy as she regularly drops leading
comments to staff in our finance office with a hope that someone might
spill the beans. This is an ongoing gift that keeps on giving:  Marge is
honored again and again every time she thinks about it! Janice, you came up
with a genuinely sensitive and life-affirming idea for a gift. Thank very
much.”

Grace and Peace,

Terry