[Dialogue] Grand Design

Jack Gilles icabombay at igc.org
Tue May 22 12:23:30 PDT 2012

Steve,

I don't pretend to understand the zen references, but the point you made of the two domains having common ground is the classic understanding of "heaven and earth".  In ancient symbol systems it is represented by the intersection of two circles, the periphery of each passing through the center of each, giving you the "fish" as the common space, or that space where heaven and earth (spirit and matter, the Word becomes flesh etc.) are understood as one reality.  It is the reconciliation of the Center-Periphery dilemma.  (The co-existance of the One (center) and the Many (periphery) in a way that they communicate with mutual recognition).  It is also represented in geometry as the interaction of the circle and the square, with the circle being the eternal and the square being the temporal, or again, heaven and earth.  That is why sacred geometry is based on the "squaring of the circle" and can be found in Stonehenge, the Pyramids as well as other sacred sites.  It is also the reason why the mystical guild of the Masons has the compass and the rule as their symbol.

So, as you point out, it's not just the recognition of two domains, which honor one another's domain, it is what is the common ground, what is the unifying understanding that both live in?  That is the question of the "Grand Design".  To simplify the present state of the dialogue, the scientific perspective says: "You need my understanding to live in today's world.  The rational, scientific explanation of the universe and how it functions is the ground all of us stand.  Although I appreciate your (the other circle) quests for meaning and, as you say, G-O-D, we really don't need it and we can declare ourselves comfortable with the one circle (what is REAL)and be agnostic or atheist and live just fine, thank you!"

Now the response may be, "Well you're sure missing one hell of a lot that comes from my perspective (circle), and although I do recognize your explanations of how your "earth" side operates (evolution, law of physics etc.) as probably right, I don't have any way to speak how my circle penetrates your circle in such a way that we live and exist in common ground.  I surrender to the point that we all need you, but you don't need me."  The point being that as long as the "heaven" circle's contribution to the common ground becomes reduced to a question of Faith, then all you get are nice polite discussions like we see in the video.  The rules of understanding are set by the "earth" side of the common ground and the other side (heaven) has no rules that really make any difference, or compliments, the "earth" set of rules.  To put it another way, intuitive knowing doesn't count.

For so many years the only response has been "You must believe (Saved, enlightened, meditate on the silence, etc.) before you grasp the common ground and benefit from the "heaven" side of the penetrating circle.  Then you grasp the Grand Design, etc."  But the aboriginal people had no trouble seeing and living in both worlds.  They saw and experienced the world of matter and spirit as one reality.  They intuited the living in both domains, or the "aliveness" of all.  When the common language that was used to refer to the common ground collapsed (the two story universe) than the capacity for the two circles to "talk" (communicate) with one another also collapsed.  The "aliveness" of all has no relevance or impact on how the "earth circle" is to be understood.  You can say the world is "intelligent" but you can't prove it and I can explain all without it (using my rules of course).

This is much more than the creation of a new story (Myth) or even our work on the Other World.  For as beneficial as these are to the "heaven" circle and it's penetration and co-existance with This World, it is not enough.  We need a way to grasp (not an idea or belief or theory) intuitively and ground in experience how the common area of the two circles operates in such a way that all creation benefits, and indeed, creation itself unfolds.   It is, as Thomas Berry says, "The Great Work".

Jack