[Dialogue] The Grand Design

jlepps at pc.jaring.my jlepps at pc.jaring.my
Mon May 21 14:52:18 PDT 2012

Thanks Paul for this fascinating dialogue. It was far more civil than
some of the exchanges of ideas that often occur on this side of the Atlantic.

IMHO, Dr. Dawkins was quite modest in his claims to certainty about
things, and Archbishop Williams was quite articulate in defining what
he did and did not mean by "God." It seemed, though, that Dr. Dawkins
was objecting to a notion of God that Archbishop Rowan did not
advocate, and that is an example of what I find objectionable about
Steven Hawking's book. Of course it would be silly to expect
physicists to be experts in theology, as it would be for theologians
to claim expertise in physics. The two can co-exist quite
harmoniously with one dealing with value and meaning (why) and the
other dealing with the nature of reality and its operations (what and how).

John