[Dialogue] The Grand Design

R Williams rcwmbw at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 14:02:23 PDT 2012

George,

Perhaps the primary way we talk about reality is to tell stories about reality.  When we forget that our stories are not reality, that they are stories about reality, our stories become illusions.  When we think our stories are reality, i.e. that our illusions are the way it really is, we get dogmatic and ideological and exclude all those who tell other stories about reality.  That's one way to define fundamentalism.  Fundamentalists, religious and otherwise, literalize and absolutize their own stories, as if they were more than stories, insist that everyone else do the same, and exclude those who will not.

So, John, maybe what George's quotes refer to as illusions that soften reality and save us from insanity are "good" illusions, and the ones that make us dogmatic and exclusive are "bad" illusions.  Not sure, just ruminating.

Randy

"Listen to what is emerging from yourself to the course of being in the world; not to be supported by it, but to bring it to reality as it desires."
-Martin Buber (adapted)