[Dialogue] Quote from Bonhoeffer

Jean Long jean.long512 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 21:58:35 PDT 2012

Greetings wonderful colleagues --

This is Jean Long.  I work in the Archives.  Now, I don't know from quotes
about the future generations -- all I can relate to you is what I have seen
developing here in the Kempter Bldg. with the new staff who are running the
ICA.

They have attended courses like Elise and George Packard's on Imaginal
Presence (forgive the title - it is something like that).  They are working
with a lot of profound old war horses -- and it is transforming their
perspective on life.

They come to our staff meetings and talk about "used to have a job here -
and now they see that they have a mission in life to be here".  They are
learning to work as one team instead of little fiefdoms.

The bldg. manager and the finance person have decided to move onto the 7th
floor.  The way they described it to our resident's meeting is, "Working
with the ICA folks is the most extraordinary experience they have had - and
they want to know more and figure moving in to live amongst us is the way
to pursue that.

We have monthly Friday night meals where we do an opening context about the
role the meal has played in history - and in the ICA.  We do birthday
celebrations and a short conversataion at the end that lets us talk about
who we are as a community - leading into a secular absolution.  Even the
bldg. construction mgr. and his crew come to that!!!

So I don't know from quotes - but living with examples of care, compassion
and sacrifiice has done a lot to shape the next generation here in the
Kemper Bldg.

PS - About 6 of the new staff are paying the way to the Nepal Conference.
...and two parents are taking their teenagers to have this experience with
them.

Jean - moving to Kemper has made all the difference in my life - and
theirs.