[Dialogue] Quote from Bonhoeffer

William Schlesinger pvida3607 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 10:48:12 PDT 2012

Of course, sometimes the coming generation needs to see people going down
fighting like heroes in the face of certain defeat!  Or at least, taking
the hit of what seems like certain defeat, and disclosing that certain
defeat isn't all it's cracked up to be...

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Terry Bergdall <bergdall2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> "To talk of going down fighting like heroes in the face of certain defeat
> is not really heroic at all, but merely a refusal to face the future. The
> ultimate question for a responsible man to ask is not how he is to
> extricate himself heroically from the affair, but how the coming generation
> is to live."
>
> I believe this is from "After Ten Years" in Letters and Papers from
> Prison. Terry
>
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:50 AM, George Holcombe <geowanda at earthlink.net>wrote:
>
>> What was that quote from Bonhoeffer a few days ago about lost causes, or
>> going down with the ship, something like that.  I was trying to look it up
>> and couldn't find it.
>>
>>   George Holcombe
>> 14900 Yellowleaf Tr.
>> Austin, TX 78728
>> Mobile 512/252-2756
>> geowanda at earthlink.net
>>
>> Hope appeareth, but it is not your Hope—you do not have anything to do
>> with it. It just appeareth. It comes as a stranger, as an alien—it
>> just appeareth! You do not even know why you hope. How in the world could
>> you hope when there is absolutely nothing to justify any hope?    ~Joseph
>> W. Mathews

Bill Schlesinger
Project Vida
3607 Rivera Avenue