[Dialogue] Guernica & Conversation Roots & Shoots

R Williams rcwmbw at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 08:44:32 PDT 2012

John,

Just for clarity, I think both ORID and Dialogue have valid functions to play, and I've seen the "art form" do the same as you describe, recently.  I would make the distinction this way in a very over-simplified nutshell.  ORID is conversation for the sake of teaching, led by a facilitator.  Dialogue is conversation for the sake of learning where everyone is a teacher (translate "learning facilitator") and everyone a learner, and in some of the better ones I've participated in there was no facilitator present or needed.

Nonetheless, I think we have to hear when some our colleagues when they say they find the ORID method "stifling."  I believe we have to pay closer attention to when we use ORID, the workshop method and all the other of our tools.  A while back I was with a participant in group trying to have a conversation for the sake learning, i.e. a dialogue.  Someone pulled out a set of worksheets for us to fill out and the conversation went south from there.  My point, good practical methods are only good when used in the appropriate setting.  Not every setting is appropriate for ORID, or for dialogue for that matter.

Again, I think we need to loosen up and not be such purists about the methods, ours or anyone elses.  I'm probably preaching here to myself more than anyone else.  The real key, as I said earlier, I don't believe we have to engineer outcomes.

Randy

"Listen to what is emerging from yourself to the course of being in the world; not to be supported by it, but to bring it to reality as it desires."
-Martin Buber (adapted)