[Dialogue] Grand Design & Ontology

jlepps at pc.jaring.my jlepps at pc.jaring.my
Tue May 22 10:51:14 PDT 2012

Colleagues.

Our discussion is very enlightening and fruitful.
Thanks for all the participation and insights
that keep on coming. Right now we seem to be
ruminating about what does reality consist of,
and that's an arena on which I've been brooding
for awhile. Below is the Summary and Introduction
to a paper that's been in the works for a couple
of years. Your insights and interest (or lack of
it) would be most welcome. If anyone is
interested in the whole thing as it now exists,
let me know and I'll send it. It's currently
about 36 pages. The list serve does not allow
attachments, so be sure to send your email.

Draft 6 July ‘08 – May. ‘12

DIMENSIONS OF ONTOLOGY
John Epps

Executive Summary

Human authenticity consists of being in a right
relationship with reality. Reality consists of
eight interrelated dimensions: Space, Time,
Physical Matter, Technology, Socio-culture,
Identity, Energy, and Meaning. They seem to occur
in closely-related pairs: Space and
Socio-culture; Time and Identity; Technology and
Energy; Physical Matter and Meaning. Each of
these eight dimensions is universal in scope.
Each poses its own issues in terms of attaining a
right relationship to it. Different dimensions
are emphasized at different times, and the
present seems to be a time of emphasis on space and socio-culture dimensions.

Introduction

Whenever we're wrongly related to reality, we are
in a situation of self-destruction. In religious
terms, it is a condition of un-faith or sin.
Restoring faith means authentically re-connecting
with reality. But conceptions of what constitutes
reality vary considerably, and change from time
to time. What I'd like to do is first, to attempt
a quick summation of what constitutes reality in
the contemporary mind-set, then second, to
indicate the issues we have in relating to it,
and finally, to indicate ways in which authentic
relations can be re-established or at least
communicated. The aim of the paper is to provide
the basis for addressing the crises of faith that
people experience today and offer the
possibilities of encountering life as meaningful.

The matter of clarifying what is real, or what
reality consists of, is an on-going effort. One
of the latest from the point of view of science
is super-string theory which posits that the
ultimate entity of which everything consists is
not a tiny particle (even a point-particle), but
rather is vibrating energy strings. It’s a
fascinating theory well-explained in the book The
Elegant Universe by Brian Green[1]. In the
process of describing this theory, its
justifications, and implications, Green indicates
that reality has 11 dimensions, not simply the
three spatial and one temporal that we are familiar with.

I do not intend to further elaborate on this
theory or even attempt to understand it, but
rather I’d like to use the notion of multiple
dimensions as a metaphor to attempt to grasp the
common understanding of reality's components and
the way that "spirit problems" consist of unhealthy relations to reality.

I’d like to begin by providing a sort of roadmap
of reality, i.e., an indication of the multiple
dimensions of reality that we assume in our
normal operation. This is sort of a pop-ontology
that attempts to get at the assumptions out of
which we live. It's an attempt to state the
"common sense of science" that is active these
days. Once people thought reality consisted of
four elements: earth, air, fire, and water.
Everything else consisted of some combination of
the four. That view now seems at best,
"pre-scientific." Later, people lived in a
“3-story universe” (and that was common sense,
not religion, though religion used it to convey
its particular insights); today we live in a
multi-dimensional universe that must become the
mode through which religious insights can be
communicated, understood, and embodied.[2]

We’re all familiar with the diagram of an atom,
that represents the relationships of its various
components. I’d like to use it as a graphic
portraying the relationships among the various
dimensions that compose reality. Each of the
“orbits” in the diagram affects all the others,
though each has its own integrity. That is an
important factor to note in our assumptions about
reality. Now I’d like to describe the dimensions
that we assume as constituents of reality.

[1] Brian Green, The Elegant Universe:
Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest
for the Ultimate Theory (New York: Random House, 2003)

[2] Some time after the 3-story universe
collapsed, a more "scientific" view was developed
in which reality was composed of the basic
elements contained in the Periodic Table. Still
later atoms and the sub-atomic particles
surfaced. The point is that notions of what
constitutes reality change. This paper attempts
to mark the current milestone in that change process.

I. DIMENSIONS AND ISSUES  (Below is an outline of section one)

A. SPACE
"<http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/757.html>And
remember, no matter where you go, there you are." – Earl Mac Rauch

B. TIME
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." – Groucho Marx
"<http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/564.html>Time
is that quality of nature which keeps events from
happening all at once. Lately it doesn't seem to
be working." – <http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Anonymous/>Anonymous

C. PHYSICAL MATTER
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically
into three major categories: those that don't
work, those that break down, and those that get lost." –Russell Baker

D. TECHNOLOGY
"For a list of all the ways technology has failed
to improve the quality of life, please press three." – Alice Kahn

E. SOCIO-CULTURE
"It is better for civilization to be going down
the drain than to be coming up it." – Henry Allen

F. IDENTITY
"To be idle requires a strong sense of personal
identity." – Robert Louis Stevenson

G. ENERGY
"I merely took the energy it takes to pout and
wrote some blues." – Duke Ellington

H. MEANING
"How is it possible to find meaning in a finite
world, given my waist and shirt size?" ­ Woody Allen