[Dialogue] Gordon's Example of "The 1st Time I was assigned" stories

steve har stevehar11201 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 09:33:25 PDT 2012

Gordon,

What a splendid memory you have!

Thank-you for the generosity of sharing the story from that West Side
RS-1 and your memories of learning with Slicker and Mathews.

Wonder if anyone has a picture of an RS1 on the West Side from those
days? Your story with a picture would make the beginning of some
terrific story-making in the new 6th Floor Archives.

Paul Noah has a fun story about going on a quest to find teh "rock"
and a picture of the "Rock" as a backdrop of Joe Crocker giving a talk
on the 2nd floor at 4750. He and some other people have been
collecting pictures and stories.

Hope the Archives Project adds your story too!

The Gordon Harper Story: The 1st Time I...

"The first time I was assigned to lead the conversation method in a
live RS-1.   It was with a large group in Room A, West Side, latter
60s, and I'd been given the Freedom Conversation: ("Who'd be willing
to take George to the airport?").  Amazingly to me,it wasn't going
nearly as well as I recalled it had in my own RS-1.

As I was struggling to stay afloat, Slicker edged in to help redirect
things so that the group could genuinely wrestle with the issues being
raised.  I felt like a flaming failure--then came to treasure it as
one of my great learning moments.

--
Steve
PS I note you didn't say what your great learning was...exactly. Must