[Dialogue] what is the right question these days?

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 14:07:18 PDT 2012

Karen, you said:  "Let's talk.  Is it "How are we to live together and
preserve this planet for the future?" ?

sort of a combination of Rodney King (Can't we all get along?)  and  Gro Harlem Brundtland (Our Common Future report on sustainable development)  (How do we meet our own needs without compromising the capacity for future generations to meet their own needs?)

Pretty good, Karen . . . anyone else?  Is this the right question?  I found this list below . . . from a church consultant . . .

KEY QUESTIONS FOR OUR TIMES

In 2000 Bill Easum articulated these key questions for churches
seeking to be missional, outward-focused, evangelistic at the
commencement of the 21st century. Here are OUTWARD FOCUSED CHURCH we
would be interested in your answers. We'll be sure they get forwarded to
 Bill.

In 2000 I prepared a presentation for the Society for Church Growth  in
which I asked what I considered at the time to be some of the key
questions of our time.  In looking back over these questions I find they
  are still the key questions with which Western Christianity is
wrestling. You be the Judge if they are.

What is it about my relationship with Jesus my neighbor and the world can’t live without experiencing?How do I share my faith without coming off like a bigot?What will Christianity look like when it truly understands that North America is a mission field?What is the difference in being missional and doing evangelism?What is the difference in a being pastor and being a cross-cultural missionary?What does it mean to live in a world where one’s spirituality is more important than one’s credentials?Can we imagine doing evangelism that is not carried out within the context of conquest?How do leaders lead without control?What will authority look like in an out-of-control, anti-institutional, non-religious world?What will Christianity look like when it’s no longer defined by books? How do we transition from handing out data that informs to offering an experience that transforms?How will we help people grow their spirituality instead of just learning
 more about the Bible?  What will Christianity look like when the church is missional and not institutional?How will we “be” the church instead of “go” to church?

Jim Wiegel

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."  Abraham Lincoln

401 North Beverly Way, Tolleson, Arizona 85353-2401

+1  623-363-3277  skype:  jfredwiegel

jfwiegel at yahoo.com   www.partnersinparticipation.com

Upcoming public course opportunities:

ToP  Facilitation Methods,      Sept 11-12, 2012

ToP Strategic Planning,    Oct 9-10, 2012

The AZ Community of Practice meets the 1st Friday- Sept 7, 2012

Facilitation Mastery : Our Mastering the Technology of Participation program is available in Phoenix in 2012-3.  Program begins on Nov 14-16, 2012

See short video http://partnersinparticipation.com/?page_id=55 and website for further details.