[Dialogue] Being Black in the Order Ecumenical

R Williams rcwmbw at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 03:55:48 PDT 2012

Joyce,

Your brief comment, in remembering Robert Shropshire, about what it was like to be black and to have been in the O:E has me wanting to hear more about what that experience was like, and trying to recall our black Order colleagues prior to our being dispersed around the globe, embracing cultures of color everywhere.

In addition to you, Carlos and Shropshire, I remember Larry Ward, Nadine Ward, Harold Williams and Richard whose last name was, I think, Epson.  Other faces are pictured in my mind's eye whose names I cannot recall.  Who were they?

My interest is peaked by the fact that the white majority, in the U.S at least, is shrinking and will likely soon no longer exist, combined with the fact that there is a glimmer of indication that cultural diversity of all kinds is coming to be not only tolerated but embraced by more and more people.

On behalf of the future, with an eye toward how all people may live together in peace on this flat, increasingly diverse and crowded planet, I would love to hear more of your reflections, as well as those of others, on what it was like then to be black and in the O:E and what, with 50 years of experience behind us, we all have learned.

A conversation like this could be a fitting tribute to Robert, Nadine, Harold and others now departed who have impacted our community and consciousness over the years.

Randy

"Listen to what is emerging from yourself to the course of being in the world; not to be supported by it, but to bring it to reality as it desires."
-Martin Buber (adapted)