[Dialogue] Ways to Find Your Calling

Janice Ulangca aulangca at stny.rr.com
Sun Jul 1 01:04:42 PDT 2012

Thanks for this Forbes article, Steve.  I observe myself and others needing, and having the opportunity to, re-find our "calling".  This happens often as circumstances change - health, economic resources, people dying, new friends, new ideas, communities/institutions dying,  communities/institutions showing signs of new life, etc. .  And the more I am sensitive to the nuances of my situation, the more I realize that there are open doors in even the most restrictive situations (The Future Is Open) - so circumstances are always changing, at least somewhat.

In Forbes, such a dollar oriented publication, this author uses the word "calling" - that comes from a religious tradition - our human concept of who God is *  "calling" us to know-do-be something.  She makes good points - including taking the long view (what does the future require?).  But "following your dreams" doesn't quite cut it as a total substitute for using what you have to serve the needs of the universe.

In this 50th year of EI/ICA, some of the questions to live with:  Considering what we were/are/might be, what is our calling?  What are we called to know/do/be?  What are some of the important partnerships the future needs?

Janice Ulangca

* Just back from a great week at Chautauqua with M-F talks by John Shelby Spong.  Thus the "human concept of God" as a foundation for approaching the Bible, theology, the depth and openness of life.