[Dialogue] [Oe List ...] more on guns

Jack Gilles jackcgilles at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 09:25:12 PST 2012

Gordon,

I too want to congratulate you on a fantastic witness and analysis of our
current contradiction. We should encourage you to come out of your cave
more often and into the spotlight of adulation!

I have been thinking a lot about "tipping points" since this tragedy. I'm
getting a feel that perhaps we have reached one, but it is too early to
tell. Since symbol is key, I think the people who introduce the gun
legislation should call it the "Sandy Hook bill" or the "Newtown bill".

I agree that our American culture of gun worship and the acceptance and
promotion of violence is deeply ingrained and not easy to change. The
frontier myth of our history is strong. All of these are a collective
energy that possesses many and affects us all. But, maybe things are
changing. As new generations come forth, as women grow in political
influence, as our diversity grows and deepens, as our insular globally
continues to crumble; these trends can begin to create a disonante energy,
and perhaps, to a new emerging myth. I don't know. The forces of guns and
violence are strong. But tipping points do happen, and perhaps, with our
shoulders to the task, that tipping could happen in this decade.

I also agree with John Epps. I have enormous respect and gratitude for this
community and forum.

Peace,

Jack