[Dialogue] Managing your subscription (was "Thanks Tim")

Tim Wegner twegner at swbell.net
Sun Apr 22 13:39:48 PDT 2012

George asked:

> Thanks for the switch. Any info on how I change my email address by
> going to the web page.

This might be a good email to save somewhere because it has
information about managing your list membership. I will put this
information on wiki.wedgeblade.net somewhere also.

You have to subscribe the new email, and unsubscribe the old one.
Probably best to subscribe first and not unsubscribe until you know
the new email works. Subscribing is not instant, I have to approve in
order to block spammers.

I help people with this sort of thing all the time and am happy to do
it. Just tell me what you want done. That said, you can easily manage
all this yourself. I would recommend everyone explore how to do this
just so you see what's possible.

There's a footer at the bottom of every message with the link to
manage your account. In some messages it isn't obvious and shows up
as an attachment. Here are the links:

1. To subscribe a new email, scroll down to "Subscribing to Dialogue"
(or OE as the case may be). Enter your new email and pick a password.
Two things will happen, I will have to approve, then you will get an
email that asks you asked to confirm. This makes sure your email is a
real one.

2. To manage your current email, scroll to the very bottom of the
same page. Enter your email where it says:

"To unsubscribe from Dialogue, get a password reminder, or change
your subscription options enter your subscription email address:"

Enter your email and click "Unsubscribe or edit options".

That takes you to a screen that lets you:

a. Log in with your password - do that to suspend mail, select the
digest, change your password, etc.

b. Unsubscribe - you don't need a password to do this, but you do
need to receive and respond to a confirming email. This implies you
can't unsubscribe a dead email, you have to do it while it is alive.
Just ask me if you want a dead email unsubscribed.

c. Get a reminder for your password so you can do item a. Everyone
has a new password, so you might want to get the reminder, then login
as described above and change it.

All of this is easier for you to actually do than for me to explain!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tim