[Oe List ...] Harry Wainwright obit

Mari Crocker maricrocker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 16:43:15 PST 2024

Thanks so much Marshall et al for the “back story” and “front story” of the dynamic duo.

My memory of the Wainwrights was of Harry (at the Jabalpur and Addis Ababa ITIs) and Harry and Mary Ann (at the Jeju HDP Consult).

Harry was a consummate attender to detail. If my fading memory serves me at all, Harry landed in Jabalpur to help our teaching team present the latest product of Chicago Summer 1971’s Research Assembly, the Local Church Experiment documents.  For some reason key documents did not arrive in advance as planned, and Kaye Hayes and I were “seconded” (love that term) to be emergency typists of the one extant copy of the documents which Harry carried with him to India. Not an easy task.  Can’t recall when the intended originals arrived — if they did at all.  But Slicker, the Dean, made it all work somehow, after sending a telegram back to Chicago saying “May Day, May Day!”— as only Slicker would know to alert JWM.

Harry continued with the teaching team to Ethiopia where he brought his pedagogy prowess as well as "printing technical expertise" from his local church pastoral experience (anyone remember the ancient Gestetner gooey black ink printers?).

In Seoul, MaryAnn was the quintessential gracious hostess to the Consult team.  Her gentle style and amazing smile softened what was a challenging task — selecting a village BEFORE the scheduled consult was about to begin.  Harry was “the General” (one of our 5 Exemplars as you may recall) over-seeing the “frame” (both political and religious) and the details (pre-Consult, Consult and document writing) of the Jeju HDP Plan.  I remember him joining our breakfast table in Seoul saying, “Heavy troop movement last night.”  I’m sure that was a reality he and the Seoul RH lived with every day.

I am deeply grateful for this missional family, models of intentional service for Joe and me.

Marilyn