[Oe List ...] In Kenya, One Solution to Contaminated Water Comes From Above

Richard Alton richard.alton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 14:01:14 PDT 2024

Yes, Kawangware is a lot of Kikuyus with Somalians and other tribes
sprinkled in. I have a hard time believing that 250,000 people in Kibera
are all Luos. There are Luo communities in Nairobi but are small. But I was
there, what 1980 to 1986, and things could have changed a lot, although I
visited Kawangware in 2023.
Dick

On Thu, Aug 22, 2024 at 11:09 AM W. J. via OE <oe at lists.wedgeblade.net>
wrote:

> I was actually in Bayad, Egypt, shortly after the Busses left, where
> Boivin drilled that well near the Nile.
> Sarah is slightly misremembering the name of the HDP.
> Kibera is south of Kawangware. It's primarily Luo (Obama's tribe), while
> Kawangware is primarily Kikuyu.
> Marshall
> On Thursday, August 22, 2024 at 11:04:06 AM EDT, Sarah H. Buss via OE <
> oe at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:
>

> In Kawangware there were several sources: when we first arrived women
> carried it from the canals. Then the men put on waders and carried it from
> Nile for us to put iodine in so we could use it for drinking and bathing;
> then Cairo patrons gave us $100. to buy a drilling bit I think it was.
> Wayne Nelson, Gene Boivin and village men choose a spot about 200 feet from
> the Nile to begin drilling by hand to get fresh water. It wasn’t very deep
> but it was clean. A hand pump was installed so villagers and ourselves then
> had clean water. Did I get that right? I am sure that you, Jo Nelson,  have
> a better memory than I, so please elaborate and correct me if necessary.
> Sarah Buss
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 21, 2024, at 7:22 PM, Judi White via OE <oe at lists.wedgeblade.net>
> wrote:
>

> Oops! Kibera is near Kawangare. Im thinking of a village with similar
> name. Love aging!
>
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2024 at 8:12 PM Judi White <judiwhite070 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, too long to remember details, but I do remember going there and
> teaching a Village leaders institute. We ate arrowroot and a
> concoction called kitheri.  Judi
>
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2024 at 7:50 PM Lynda C via OE <oe at lists.wedgeblade.net>
> wrote:
>
> https://undark.org/2024/08/13/kenya-clean-water-aerial-piping-system/
>

> Was there an ICA project by this named Kibera out side Nairobi?  The
> spelling is a bit different than I remember.
>

> An article from Reasons to Be Cheerful!
>

> Celebrate.
>

> Lynda

Richard H. T. Alton