[Oe List ...] Passing of Nelson Stover

Mari Crocker maricrocker at gmail.com
Fri May 5 14:26:02 PDT 2023

Dear Elaine,

There are some of our Order family that we vividly remember and cherish, even if we were never “assigned” to work together on a project, and Nelson is one of those for me.  I think of him as both a scholar and technician, a great mix of right and left brain qualities.  Our son Ben recently visited the ICA HDP project site in Chickale (sp?) on a business trip to India.  Ben was there for a year as a 14 year-old, and some of the residents he encountered remembered him 38 years later — but they each remarked with deep gratitude about the influence of Nelson Stover (pronounced with the appropriate Indian accent).  Joe and I appreciated Nelson’s enthusiasm and investment in the then-nascent “ecology movement” way back when we participated in a program in NC that featured the work of Brian Swimme, Matt Fox and Father Thomas Berry.  At that event we reconnected with Herman Green, a kind of “adopted son” to Joe the first year we were in the OE in Chicago, and grew to understand how powerful, important and possible this movement was on behalf of our Planet Earth.

I know at this time, specifically and personally, how exhaustingly challenging it is to say YES to the Mystery, that gives and takes away our beloved ones.  I’ve wrestled with that for the past 17 years of Joe’s progressive dementia, and the “long goodbye."

Now I find it helpful to talk aloud with Joe each night, catch him up on the news of my day, and say the Lord’s Prayer with him, something that was our practice each night before turning in.  This idea was shared with me by my congregation’s organist, who is only slightly more elderly than I am.

Be well, and know that there is always God’s grace and peace,

Marilyn