[Oe List ...] When did JWM encounter the writings of Soren Kierkegaard?

Ken Fisher kenfisher1942 at gmail.com
Tue May 2 08:04:31 PDT 2023

James,

What an extraordinary paper to read. I now know that I have longed to read something like this for ages. Thank-you.

In it are our roots as Protestant ecumenists. Remarkably, there is a critique of colonialism and its impact on Indigenous peoples.

Most evident is his experiencing the collapse of Liberalism and the necessity of acknowledging and contending with the demonic forces of humanity.

Here are two screen shots mentioning SK.

Aged 35, JWM’s tone suggests deep familiarity with SK’s writings.

With this 1946 Outler paper, it would seem that he, then aged 30, encountered SK in 1941.

 'The Sickness Unto Death' - Walter Lowrie, Princeton U., 1941 was just out when Joe was at Union. “By relating to its own self and by willing to be itself, the self is grounded transparently in the Power which constituted it.”

In 1955, then 22-year old GWM, at Perkins School of Theology, shared that he took a Kierkegaard Course from JWM, then aged 44.

>> I studied a course on SK with Joe in 1955. At that time he had thoroughly mastered all the works of SK.
>> My guess is that Joe studied SK under H. Richard Niebuhr during the doctor's program he pursued with HRN.

To be continued.

Grace & Peace,

Ken