[Oe List ...] cause for bouncing - too many addressees

Timothy Wegner tim at tswegner.net
Wed Mar 8 19:30:21 PST 2023

Here's one of my rare posts on using the dialogue and oe mailing lists.

The mailman software does not like you to try and post a message with a
whole bunch of addresses in addition to the correct list address. I often
see someone who appears to be sending something to their entire contact
list. When this happens I can't even tell if they meant the message to go
to the listserv or not.

The best practice is to include just the list address only, with no other
addresses. Or, as I am doing with this, to both lists. It's ok to cc just
one or two people whose attention you need, but I usually don't even do
that.

Usually when someone is having a problem I intervene and try to help out.
But there are just not enough hours in the day for me to intervene when an
attempt is made to send something to a large number of people along with
the lists. I just let the software fail to post the message and send the
user an error message,  and I don't  intervene.

Of course I am telling you all this because this has happened a lot lately.

If you have questions or comments please email me personally, and don't
off topic, and I'd like to limit this topic to this one message.

I hope everybody is doing well!

Tim Wegner
Your usually silent list administrator