[Oe List ...] Remember Kenneth Boulding?

sherwoodshankland47 at gmail.com sherwoodshankland47 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 06:04:45 PST 2023

I was at the University of Colorado 1965 to 1969 where I was majoring in skiing and minoring in engineering 😊.  Kenneth Boulding spoke on campus at an anti-Vietnam war rally outdoors at the student center. His passionate context about the senseless loss of life on both sides, jolted my awareness of the conflict and gave me reason to resist and to refuse to serve although my draft lottery number had already been called up. I managed to qualify for a series of deferments: student, marriage, defense industry job, and then a religious deferment as prior responsible for 15 members of the Order Ecumenical living in the Cleveland Religious House. Forever grateful to Don and Claudia Cramer, Cleveland House Priors, for strategy building conversations and to Frank Hilliard who wrote a letter to the Draft Board requesting a deferment on religious grounds.

Praying for Peace in Ukraine and Gaza. / Sherwood