[Oe List ...] Joe Crocker's Passing

Leah Early leahearly at comcast.net
Sat Apr 29 20:11:49 PDT 2023

Dear Marilyn, Jon, Ben, families,
            and Colleagues in the Long March of Love,

Marilyn, thank you for your note regarding Joe’s death. Your brief details helped us all participate in his transition event. Many of us understand we too are candidates for up-and-coming final moments. And yet, death seems to always come as unique and stunning, much like Joe’s death.

To colleagues witnessing to Joe Crocker’s significance in your lives, thank you also. Your responses fill me again with gratitude for life with a host of gifted characters in service. We honor this life fully given and the mysterious way life is and is not.

The man Joe Crocker was indeed a gift!  He managed to be at home and of service anywhere on the planet. I was most struck by his presence. It included quiet self-assurance, as well as affirming encouragement to others. Joe was kind. I loved Joe’s warm smile and those playful twinkles in his eyes. And boy, did he ever have a fine voice. The deep tones projected well in large groups and turned to honey as he sang.

The Early family showed up in several assignment postings with hard-working folk who couldn’t sing--nary a one of us could carry a tune if it came in a sack. On my way to breakfast and the first singing of the day, dread paralyzed me and my stomach flip-flopped until I developed a helpful mantra: “Imagine Joe and Marilyn Crocker
singing.“

Marilyn and family, please express this community’s gratitude to those at Watson Fields who cared for Joe lovingly and to those who were present at his rolling on via a stately hearse to the singing of “Amazing Grace”. What a way to go for anyone, especially for an Ambassador in the Long March of Love.

Grace and peace,

Leah Early