[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] A photocopy of Joseph Mathews' graduate thesis

Karen Snyder karen.snyder10 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 07:49:01 PDT 2022

This is what is currently on the Global Archives website (icaglobalarchives.org <http://icaglobalarchives.org/>) on the Publications page (scroll down to Thesis/Papers) about Mathew’s thesis on John Wesley:

Mathews, Joseph Wesley, John Wesley:  Chapter 1:  The Human Constitution <https://wedgeblade.net/files/archives_assets/21219.pdf>; Chapter 2:  The Life of Love <https://wedgeblade.net/files/archives_assets/21220.pdf>; Chapter 3:  The Knowledge of Faith <https://wedgeblade.net/files/archives_assets/21221.pdf>; Conclusion Concluding Remarks <https://wedgeblade.net/files/archives_assets/21222.pdf>, Doctoral Thesis (194?)

David Dunn has a copy that includes cover page and Table of Contents that will be added to this by Don Bushman.

Peace, Karen

> On Oct 5, 2022, at 8:14 AM, JB Webster via OE <oe at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:
>
> If I were needing to cite Joe's master's thesis for an academic work I'd check the library at the Presbyterian Theological Seminary in Austin. Nowadays one can now check the holdings of most any big university library by simply typing in the name of the author. I think not so with the small PTS library. One would have to be in Austin to seek it out. This seems to be more of a "out of curiosity" exercise, though, with no urgency to cite it.
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 5:09 PM Mari Crocker via OE <oe at lists.wedgeblade.net <mailto:oe at lists.wedgeblade.net>> wrote:
> Hi Dear Colleagues,
>
> It is my experience that one’s advanced degree thesis or dissertation is usually archived in the library of the School where the advanced studies have been undertaken.  I know that I was required to make a hard-bound copy of my 1994 doctoral dissertation available to the library at Boston University.
>
> I’m guessing Master’s theses may differ, depending upon the University, and the major field.  For example, when I did my Master’s work (MAT) at Harvard, my “thesis” was replaced by my teaching full time for one semester at a middle school in Newton, MA.  If I passed muster on those 5 months of being in charge of 39 kids per class times whatever the teaching day was, I earned my degree.
>
> I never heard stories of Joe Slicker doing graduate work.  But I did hear stories that JWM’s “doctorate” was honorary, not formally “earned”, because his doctoral thesis was accidentally burned in a fire.
>
> Probably Joanne, John and Bill can clarify Slicker’s research, and lots of the original Faith and Life or “permanent House Church” Evanston folks can comment on JWM’s advanced study.
>
> My own experience is, that the pursuit of an advance degree hones one’s capacity to engage in “disciplined inquiry”, and may open new doors professionally with those letters after your name,  but I continue to believe that our collaborative study together over the past many decades has been worth multiple advanced degrees to each of us.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> Grace and peace, Marilyn
>
>> On Oct 4, 2022, at 9:12 AM, James Wiegel via Dialogue <dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net <mailto:dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone looked at Slicker's master's thesis?   He mentioned it as his formulation of RS-1 when we visited him in 2007
>> 23 Joe Slicker My Masters Degree was RS 1 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ly55WhjSk&list=PLUk2c_1SJ0s_SYiUeyuTyzZZ8k8AUblRA&index=35>
>>

>> 23 Joe Slicker My Masters Degree was RS 1
>>  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ly55WhjSk&list=PLUk2c_1SJ0s_SYiUeyuTyzZZ8k8AUblRA&index=35>

> [...]

Karen
Living on the land of the Council of the Three Fires: the Ojibwe, Odawa, and Potawatomi.