[Oe List ...] Fw: Living in Earth Community in the Anthropocene

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 1 18:18:40 PDT 2022

Looks like an interesting program the next 4 tuesdays.  I signed up.  Join me? (heads up, the fee is in Canadian dollars)
Jim Wiegel

Theunknown is what is.  And to be frightened of it is what sends everybodyscurrying around chasing dreams, illusions, wars, peace, love, hate, allthat.  Unknown is what is.  Accept that it's unknown, and it's plainsailing.    John Lennon

401 North Beverly Way,Tolleson, Arizona 85353
623-363-3277

jfwiegel at yahoo.com

www.partnersinparticipation.com

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Center from Ecozoic Studies <ecozoic.studies at gmail.com>To: "jfwiegel at yahoo.com" <jfwiegel at yahoo.com>Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 02:40:38 PM MSTSubject: Living in Earth Community in the Anthropocene

Reminder of Class Beginning on
Tuesday, October 4

|  LIVING IN EARTH COMMUNITY IN THE ANTHROPOCENE:
ECOCENTRIC GOVERNANCE AND THE NEW
ECOLOGICAL SOCIAL CONTRACT
With Herman Greene  |

|    |
|  Herman Greene, JD, DMin, Founder and President of the Center for Ecozoic Studies, Thomas Berry Scholar-in-Residence the Earth Law Center.  |

|  A program of EarthLiteracies.org
Dates: Tuesdays on Oct. 4, 11, 18, & 25, 2022
Time: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM Pacific
Location:  On-line – A Zoom Link will be emailed 24 hours before the program begins.

Cost: $60.00
(Please do not let cost deter you from attending. Ask us about our funding for programs.)

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
Session 1: Modernity Meets the Anthropocene—The End of Nature?
Our historical situation and why modernity cannot solve the problems modernity has created. The pervasive influence of humans on nature. Interpretations of the Anthropocene by scientists and various writers.

Session 2: The Ecological Social Contract—From Economics and Individualism to Ecology and Communitarianism
Theories of the social contract in the Enlightenment, those of Hobbes, Locke, and Rousseau. The consumptive social contract of modernity. The nature of the world—not a collection of isolated objects, but a communion of subjects. From negative freedom to relational freedom. Forming the new ecological social contract.

Session 3: Ecocentric Governance—Governance and Earth Law
Governance is more than government. Governance is the overall process of shaping collective agency. Traditional societies, classical civilizations, and the modern nation-states. Competing contemporary forms—liberal democracy, social authoritarianism, and nativist populism. Political economy of consumption. Ecocentrism, Earth law, customary law, and forms and scales of ecological governance.

Session 4: Living in Earth Community—A Viable Future
Change in perspective from the near term to the long term. Creating a new philosophical framework for the future. Dealing with human-Earth relations. Helping people deal with increasingly difficult circumstances. Clarifying the best economic and energy options. Fostering a vision of a humane and decent future.

|  Copyright © 2022 Center for Ecozoic Studies, All rights reserved.
 You are on this list because you signed up for our emails or otherwise indicated an interest in our work. If you have questions, please contact ecozoic.studies at gmail.com.

Our mailing address is:
Center for Ecozoic Studies2516 Winningham RdChapel Hill, NC 27516-0518
Add us to your address book