[Oe List ...] Songs for Collapsing Times

Milan Hamilton mellowmilan2 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 11:18:14 PDT 2022

I've been pondering for some time how those who care in these times of
failing systems and "great unraveling" sustain themselves. We always had
the singing whenever we gathered. I've wondered if singing can still be a
sustaining dynamic in these diasporate times. I've turned to writing poetry
after running out of prose, finding it a bit too prosaic. And recently,
after listening to Ellie Stock's "Let the Earth Breathe" several times,
begun to think and feel after a way to have some 'singable' songs, to both
take in the seriousness of our predicament, and to try to lighten the load
as we grieve our way through the great transition we are surely well into.
Thanks to Ellie and her crew, Michael Dowd and his Post Doom, Post Gloom
work, and William Catton and his "Overshoot," introducing us to the Homo
Colossus we have become as a result of our industrial revolution. This
song, "Homo Colossus Lament" was also inspired by the song I remember
singing back in the 1950s at summer camp, "Oh They Built the Ship Titanic."
The lyrics I wrote follow the P.M. Adamson version of that tune, found on
YouTube. My guitar picking fingers are a little more still and my singing
voice is not as pure as it once was. So maybe Ellie or one of you musicians
could have made a better singable cover of it. I hope there might be more
"Singalongs for Collapsing Times" to come.
----Milan Hamilton

Here is the link to Homo Colossus Lament:  https://youtu.be/5X2MJwJFY40