[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] Kitty Cole

Mari Crocker maricrocker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 18:17:09 PDT 2022

When Joe, David McCleskey and I were assigned to recruit (by teaching RSI and PLC courses in SEA) participants for the first ITI in Singapore in 1969, colleagues like Kitty Cole were crucial.  Kitty hosted us in her home in Kobe, and invited Japanese and International colleagues to meet with us and learn about our work.

One night when Kitty was hosting a Japanese/American couple (who eventually moved to the US), David excused himself to visit the restroom, and didn’t realize the children were sleeping on the floor.  David, unintentionally, but sadly stepped on “Markeo, (the child of a future guardian couple,) whose lusty lungs sang out DANGER, DANGER.

Kitty, thankfully with her training as a nurse, was able to calm the child and his parents, as well as David — and the evening proceeded as planned.

This was the kind of gal she was:  knowledgable, smart, responsive, and ready to tell it the way is was!

I doubt we would have ever encouraged Japanese colleagues to join us if Kitty Cole had not been the international pioneer.