[Oe List ...] 4/28/22 PHOTOS

Terry Bergdall bergdall2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:41:23 PDT 2022

Jim,

You asked for a word more (see below).

The CFLC “Letter to Laymen" uses very unusual language to speak about the urgency of the moment and deliver a radical call to action. Very few people spoke, or wrote, like that then or now. It was “special” if not unique. Somewhere I have a clipping of one of those communiques from the Ecumenical Institute that was reprinted on the “about town” humor page of The New Yorker. After a full paragraph describing the urgency of our times in this intense over-the-top, somewhat confusing, style, it ended by asking “how will you respond?’ The New Yorker then simply asked “when can I get back to you?”

In the face of climate change, etc., my wife reminds me that it would be a good thing if we could recover even a small degree of that unembarrassed, let-it-all-hang-out, urgency today.

It is true that many of us back then were enthralled with, and responded to, a call for action that was radical, total, and unconditional. I remember seeing a movie many years ago with Michael Caine and Sigourney Weaver. Her character sees a photo of him taken several years before and says “oh, you used to be a radical.” His response in his posh apartment was “I like to think I still am.” Don’t we all?

Terry