[Oe List ...] FW: JOE AYRES - completed life

Lynda C lynda860 at outlook.com
Mon Sep 13 12:15:09 PDT 2021

Joe Ayres, a true Archive Angel, has completed his life at 98 years old. Many of you  mostly knew his wife Audrey, but those of us in the Chicago metro knew Joe and Audrey very well.  Their home in Naperville with its wide open spaces was the source of many Religious House picnics and celebrations where we all enjoyed their generous hospitality and a chance to experience green grass and shade trees and badmitton and other yard games, plus winter snowmen and such.   During the time of overseas deployments, the Ayres attic became a regular storage place for treasured items.   Bless them for that loving gesture of care.

Audrey was a dedicated fixture in the Town Meeting days on the West Side,  an expert in writing grants for the 5th City Preschool, attended many overseas conferences and some HDP projects, and in her later years, one of the tenacious members of the Archives team, driving into Chicago each day from Naperville, well into her senior years.    Even after her death, Joe continued to help finance the work of the archives in her memory.  What a team!   When we moved to Galax, they included Galax as a stop over heading back to Naperville after a trip to their St. Louis relatives. They even helped with a sidewalk sale from our Men’s Shop during the annual Old Time Fiddlers Convention.  Their pre-teen granddaughter accompanied them.    On several trips to Chicago to work in the Archives, I was privileged to visit Joe and family in Naperville.

In the spirit of a wake, I hope many of you will share memories online as well as copied to Peter whose address is below to share with the family.  We celebrate Joe’s life and indeed this family as mission from God to history, singing “For all the saints, who from their labors rest….”

With deep care,

Lynda Cock