[Oe List ...] Passing of Forrest Craver

Mari Crocker maricrocker at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 20:19:24 PST 2021

Dear Colleagues and Craver family members,

Joe and I enjoyed so much working with Forrest and Susan when we were in NYC and they were in DC back in the 1970s.  Such a strong, effective missional family!  Then decades later, the Cravers hosted a group of former OE colleagues for what we called a “Springboard Consult,”  our attempt to explore what we might know/do/be in the post-Order years.  Gathered there at Susan’s impressive Imaginal Training  office in Alexandria, VA, were the Grows, Ballards, Baileys, Gillises, Jan Sanders, Richard Simms and many others.  Forrest shared at that time his work with poet Robert Bly, founder of the mythopoetic men’s movement.  His testimonies at that meeting spoke deeply to Joe, who had appreciated Bly’s book Iron John.

My image of Forrest was a man who, over time, constantly re-invented himself — from a polished, well-dressed lawyer, to a fundraising consultant, to a social activist, to a wild-man poet/guru, to…..  Somehow, for me, his family nick-name “Chip” didn’t seem to fit him— but maybe it did as descriptors of the myriad chips of colors the comprised the keleidescope of his life.

We give thanks for his full, generous, completed life.

Marilyn Crocker