[Oe List ...] Updated Creed

Zoe Barley zbarley at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 5 10:34:28 PST 2021

I would use the Event in the place of It. The repetition is appropriately reinforcing.

Sent using myEarthLink

On Fri Feb 05 11:15:57 MST 2021 JB Webster via OE wrote:

I've been thinking about this for many years since since the longer version appeared on the cover of the 2003-2004 issue of “The Directory.” So here is my shortened and adapted version of the Apostle's Creed based on the language of RS-1. I'm still not quite sure about calling the intruding Event “It.”

I trust in the final Mystery of all things, the giver and taker of life, and in the intruding Event that reminds me of my unconditional acceptance which is given in the midst of life's freedom and seizes me in the struggle of daily living. It shatters all illusions and thus I experience death. It gives me a vision of reality and thus I experience rebirth. It judges my authenticity and thus is a measure of my relationship to profound human community. I trust in the gift of radical freedom and the history-long and worldwide presence of pioneers in the civilizing adventure and in the eternal presence of the final mystery. Amen

(If anyone has lost the longer version in their archives and need it for reference, I'll type it up and post it.) – John Webster