[Oe List ...] Fwd: Celebrating Kathleen Hamm Jones

Mari Crocker maricrocker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 20:06:12 PDT 2021

Thank you Margaret, for working with Kathy’s brother, Larry, to compile such a comprehensive and caring statement about Kathleen’s unique and unrepeatable life, and then to make it available for our Order and ICA Colleagues.

Since Kathy moved to New England, first to NH, then just across the state line to South Berwick, Maine, we re-established our colleagueship, and then developed a deep friendship.  Kathy often visited our farm in West Newfield, and showed us how to forage for early sprouting dandelion greens, which we dug up, gathered and subsequently enjoyed steamed and seasoned with mustard sauce, a specialty in her PA home town during the annual "dandelion greens feast and celebration.”  She threw herself into Maine life, purchasing equipment for and sallying forth on both snowshoes in the winter woods of Newfield, and Nordic walking sticks on the beaches of Wells/Ogunquit in early spring. Kathy preached at our little UCC church in West Newfield, and engaged the Bible Study class in reviewing and critiquing a first draft, hard copy print, of her e-book Cooking for One.

Kathy often joined Joe and me when we were hosting OE colleagues in various configurations at our home — Del and Justin Morrill, Suemi Clark, Carol Fleischmann, Anna Stanley, Maureen Jenkins, Jeanette Stanfield — for reminiscing and visioning, both formal and informal, intentional and just for fun.  She took a special interest in ways to engage Joe, as his dementia and disorientation increased.  On each pre-COVID visit she would keep him chuckling over jokes, one after another..  “Where do you find these?” Joe would ask.  “Right here,” she would say, waving her Smart Phone.  When we could only keep in touch remotely, she kept me up to date on the latest well-researched strategies to stimulate the little grey cells in my almost-93-year old husband. I loved that caring.

I really miss Kathy — her idiosyncratic, tentacular wisdom; her passion for social justice and honesty within the church (as social pioneer); and her delightful love of life, even when she faced seemingly insurmountable personal obstacles.

Thank you, Mystery, for this most interesting, and precious life.

Marilyn Crocker