[Oe List ...] On Remembering the Completed Life of Nan Grow

Dawn Collins collinsdawn747 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 16:08:30 PDT 2020

Dear Bill, Bradford, Rebecca, and Ian,
The time was 1968, a year of another crack opening in the consciousness of the nation. It was the year I joined the Ecumenical Institute and shared Nan's small office on the West Side of Chicago. I was fortunate to continue to draw my salary from Western Electric that year. Coming from 2 short blocks down the street, I followed the Call after an exciting year of introduction to the Institute in our midst and wrote a letter to JWM to become a member of that structural revolutionary body.
My task was to transcribe talks from spiritual colleagues attending special programs around the globe while Nan and Bill spent hours compiling punch cards on the data entry machine down the hall with lots of TLC and briefing their results with JWM in his office. Those cards represented visits made to 5th City residents by soon-to-be Institute colleagues, crisscrossing the neighborhood to compile the hopes and dreams of 5th Citizens for the future. Needless to say, I was also being exposed to other facets of the mission as time went by soon recruiting future attendees of the first Black Academy from the south and west sides of Chicago.
With her quiet, sober demeanor, Nan was one of many of our somewhat diverse collegial group who helped actualize a  vision of an engaged 5th City community being given the tools to let their voices be heard and reckoned with in determining their destiny.
May you rest in eternal peace, my dear Nan, leaving a legacy of wonderful memories down the years as a caring mentor and friend.
Kindfully yours,
dawn303 388 1454

We love the Final Reality because the Final Reality loved us first.- 1 John 4:19