[Oe List ...] Thoughts on TrEXIT

Milan Hamilton mellowmilan2 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 10:53:24 PST 2020

Well I hesitate to weigh in after Marshall’s eloquent, penetrating, or at least articulate diatribal attempt at trans-establishment speak, which I have to say I found myself resonating with. I agree we need to listen to the pain, the grievances, and whatever else drew nearly half of us to push the T-button for a second time. And I add my fearful and tentative hopes for a Biden/Harris administration that can restore some civility to the discourse going forward. But my concern has been with the great divide in the Congress, especially the Senate. What was it that allowed Mitch McConnell to begin with in Barack Obama’s very first day in office “I will make it my mission to make sure he is a one-term President” and carry on for eight more years with the same stance, symbolized in the refusal to even allow Obama’s Supreme Court nominee to get a fair consideration. Now, will he take the same stance with a Biden presidency? And Lindsey and the other sheep follow along bleating the same tone for four or eight more years? This may take a full eight years to even get the conversation established on a new basis, and do we really have time, given the social collapse on all the other fronts, cultural, economic, as well as political. Where do we think this trans-establishment perspective is going to come from? How many of us are willing to stay present to the dark night of the national soul that we are finally becoming aware we are in? Will the Biden/Harris team even be willing to acknowledge the depth of the swirling cesspool that they are about to dive into? My only hopefulness is in the conversations going on at the local levels of our society that I’ve seen happening, mostly among the young ones and the old ones. With the climate crisis looming ever more daily in our awareness, will we have time enough for the grieving process to get to the national consciousness. And that doesn’t even touch dealing with the global crises, the “cascading catastrophes” as my friend and mentor, Bob Vance used to talk about twenty years ago. How long can we tread water doesn’t even apply as a metaphor when we can see the coming multiple tsunamis approaching. Do we have time to build the ark? Wait! What’s an ark? Time for a total spirit re-set. Where are the poets and song-writers? Send in the Clowns. Maybe next year! MM

Sent from my iPad