[Oe List ...] "Thanks for the Memories

John Epps jlepps39 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 14:26:41 PDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Joe often said we don’t thank each other.  I’m beginning to understand why.
“Thank you” seems so trivial as I’m overwhelmed with gratitude for all your

>From the time Stuart Harper scared the bejeezus out of me by jumping out
from under a stairwell as a ghost at 5AM in Kuala Lumpur, to the work
Marilyn Crocker and I did on the Order Polity document in Chicago, to
working with Joyce Sloan in Dallas, to the train ride to Blue Mountains,
Australia, with the Telfords, to the numerous conversations cited in your
letters, I’m grateful.   I realize the appreciation you’ve expressed  is
for all of us for the work and the experiences we’ve shared.

Now, if you’ll pardon a little theological diversion, humility, gratitude,
and compassion are three dimensions of worship that dramatize three life
dynamics. The mystery has evoked humility; I’m overwhelmed with gratitude
for your responses; and these times are demanding compassion.  Despite
Joe’s admonition regarding “thanks,” thank you for being the Order.

Grace and Peace to all y’all.

John