[Oe List ...] List of Cleveland Region colleagues (30 July 2020)

Jack Gilles jackcgilles at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 04:41:57 PDT 2020

Jim,

As one of the very early Cleveland Region who was one of the “strange ones” (guess that hasn’t changed!) I am reluctant to say we did anything different. I felt a deep drivenness to bring RS-I to as many churchmen (sic) as possible. But I felt the flame from so many other Regions as well. I remember going to my first Presidium in early 1977 and being both humbled and enlivened by people from the Phoenix Region and so many others. The Detroit Region was close and we found their brochures inspiring us to do likewise.

In those very early days we were actually the Cleveland-Pittsburgh Region. Those of us who lived there “knew” that was not right, but someone in Chicago who did the initial grid linked us. We were “midwesterners” not N.Y. City-East Coast people. We did innovate. We (I believe) were the first to buy cots and sleep in Churches for our courses. Those of us in Cleveland found a great woman, “Mom Chetham” who did all our cooking. She got to know all the pedagogues and got to know their favorite food or drink. Al Williams was “the Colke” addict. I could go on and on.

It is why I see the current bond of various “causes” so easily experiencing a kinship with each other. We (and they) did not look to any particular charismatic leader, we just knew that our flame was in all people, and it had to do with Care. That Care today may have lit the flame of those who really loved the Church but did not see how it could possibly change, and we said “yes it can”. Now that Flame is igniting many causes, but this time the light and heat warm illuminate me, and warm my heart as well.

If you pushed me real hard and asked “But what did you do that made such a big flame?” I would have to say “we sang”. The combined breaths of our singing kept the embers lit, Every little flame became a larger one. We wrote songs, we consumed new songs from Chicago like it was high octane gasoline to throw on the fire. When you looked through the Flame you saw, not imagined, you saw the New World of humanness. You could actually live in it, for it was NOW, not something coming, yet it was always Be.coming. All expenditure, that done when there was no visible flame, and when there was glorious flame was sanctified. "Harvest Time" song was just the way it is.

This conversation is not about nostalgia. But how we burned is not the fuel for today. I too was on that call with the new ICA Board members, and although she is moved and inspired by our history. As she learns it, it is not her fuel. But she is feeling the same flame beginning to burn. The flame she wants to burst forth, but it seems to be in danger of going out in ICA.

But for me there is good news. All you do is step out the door, bring the flame burning in such a new way (hey Rob, the MOMS!!) and give them something to feed on. Real soul food. Yes, they will want to know why it tastes so good, so you can share some of the secrets of a good sauce.

“See, add the ingredients this way, First add the O stuff, then let it get going, then a dash of R. That is hot stuff, so be careful with the emotions, then a long dose of I, and stir slowly, starting in the center and then ending with the whole dish swirling. Then just serve it with you D topping. For if they don’t eat it, it just is wasted. The key is how you stir it, but if don’t love cooking, you won’t get the taste. And here is what I have found out. They only need to taste a little bit. And maybe years later, they will wake up and say, I remember that meal!”

It ain’t the cook, it isn’t the recipe, it isn’t how he stirs the pot. For what is in there, and all soul food, is this ingredient you don’t add, but is inside them called “Insta-Flame”, placed in every human birth. It comes with a warning label; Danger! Be careful of how you light it, it could cost you your life.”

It isn’t us, it isn’t our methods, it isn’t our singing, it isn’t our decor, and it isn’t our history. It is our “Yes” that we said, and people are ready to say Yes.

Peace,

Jack