[Oe List ...] Witness in honor of Lynda Cock's 80th Birthday

Jann McGuire jannmcguire at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 11:35:52 PDT 2020

Leading up to my 80th birthday in June, 2017, I spent many hours taking
apart picture albums, sorting the photos into packages for family and
friends.  This turned into a profound reflection on my life. I composed
eight montages, each one picturing highlights of one decade. It brought
home to me how long I'd, how blessed I've been with love and adventure and
how quickly the years fly away.

I turn to the future with wonder. To what shall I dedicate this last
quantity of time? What does it mean to move from Elder to Sage?

Uncertainty is certain. With strength and energy diminishing, I turn
inward, not as a retreat from engagement, but to engage fully with the
interior of my human condition.

The title of Joseph Campbell's book, *The Inner Reaches of Outer Space,* has
intrigued me. It implies that our inner reality is as vast as the Universe.
How do I begin such an exploration? I can take a step toward more
contentment, less restlessness; acceptance of myself and others; the wisdom
not to take anything personally.

These explorations, along with the tasks of providing for my sustenance,
communicating with loved ones and creating art to mirror the journey, will
be my mission during this last measure of time.

May it be so,

Jann McGuire