[Oe List ...] Memories of Marianna

Mari Crocker maricrocker at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 13:33:10 PDT 2020

Dear Tricia, Tom Lynn and Nan,

Joe and I have been forever thankful for and appreciative of Marianna (and Bill!) Bailey for loaning their youngest daughter, Nan, to us for four years (1971 -75) in the Philadelphia and New York Religious Houses.  Nan became the “big sister” for our twin sons, Jon and Ben: she potty trained them, loved them unconditionally; provided them stability when we were assigned to the Consult Trek for a year; and later, when they grew into adulthood, became a trusted friend and advisor. Marianna and Bill “allowed” Nan to skip school for a year when she was 14, so she could be assigned “in house” as the resident preschool imaginal educator.  And they trusted, rightly, that she would catch up and excel in her education, even without that year in conventional schooling structures.

Marianna was a role model to Nan and I’m sure to Lynn and Tom, as well.  Nan told me that before the family joined the Order, Marianna, who had been fulfilling all the duties of being a clergy wife and mother of three, decided on a propitious occasion (perhaps after taking RSI or CSIIIA) to Declare her Independence from laundry, cooking and childcare, and announced, “I’m off duty!”  She went into the bedroom, curled up with a good book and a cup of tea and closed the door.  Nan said the rest of the family was shocked — but they "hopped to it”, picking up all the things “Mom” usually did — and began to realize what it had required of her all these years.

In the 22 years we were in the Order the Baileys were the epitome of priorship/leadership.  They, like the Holcombes, were sent to the ends of the earth to troubleshoot and empower development projects.  Marianna brought "steel magnolia" grace and strength wherever she showed up.  Even after they retired from OE assignments and corporate life, they continued to "stand present to the cutting edge.” On two occasions in the decades after the dissolution of our Order, Joe and I reconnected to the Baileys at collaborative conferences where we all continued to learn from  M.Fox, T. Berry, B. Swimme and others.

Ironically (or not), today, when I read Lynda’s announcement of Marianna’s entering into Hospice care, I had just received an invitation to participate in Marianna’s study group. Clearly she is a life-long learner, continuing to prompt us to listen, learn and love.

With gratitude for knowing you, dear Marianna,

Love, Marilyn and Joe